My fridge has been filled with a plethora of vegetables, and I had to cook it before they spoiled. My sister, still vegetarian, and still annoying me with the same few ingredients in her repertoire, inspired me to make some hearty, healthy, vegetarian lasagna! It was originally going to be a traditional lasagna, but my friends insisted on lasagna cupcakes, even though they were never going to get to eat it. (distance, not because I’m mean)
- 14 lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1lb shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large eggplant diced
- 16oz spinach
- 1 zuchinni, sliced into rounds
- ground peppercorns, to taste
- 2tsp garlic powder, or to taste
- 2tsp onion powder, or to taste
- 2tsp dried basil, or to taste
- 2tsp oregano, or to taste
- 2tsp cayenne, or to taste
- 16oz pasta sauce (your choice)
- 8 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook lasagna noodles according to the package instructions. Lay each one a clean towel until ready to use. Note: Prep the noodles any way you like to make the cupcake holder. I cut each noodle in half, then made a half slit to fold it in the cupcake pan. You can also cut them into thin strips and just shove/layer them in as you like, there is no wrong way.
- Pour olive oil into saute pan over medium heat, coat evenly.
- Add the mushrooms, eggplant, and spinach. Saute until spinach has wilted. Add the spices to taste
- Drain any excess liquid.
- Add sauce to the veggie mixture and simmer for about fifteen minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Spoon a thin layer of sauce into the cupcake pans
- Fill the cupcake pans with noodles.
- Place a zucchini round at the bottom. Spoon a layer of the sauce mixture on top, top with a thin layer of cottage cheese, top the cottage cheese with a thin layer of mozzarella cheese
- For the last layer, add the sauce mixture and top with mozzarella cheese
- Bake covered for about 20 minutes and then uncovered for another 5mins or until sizzling.
- Let sit for about a minute or two, and serve warm.
Thanks for stopping by! Hope this recipe proves as enjoyable for you as it was for me!