Today was a productive day! However, it started off slow.
I woke up a little early today, and the weather was sunny and cool, perfect time for a run, but laziness was overcoming me and I preferred to sit indoors. I needed a little kick in the butt and reminded myself that I registered for the San Jose 1/2 Marathon in Sept and needed to get training. This is the first 1/2 I’ll be doing since my ACL surgery back in Sept 2010. The past week or two I’ve been running 2 – 3 miles, but often making the excuse that my knee just wasn’t ready. Today I told myself, what I tell several people, “Mind Over Matter”. I started the run off with caution, but soon my legs got back their rhythm and in no time I finished off 4 miles! Mind over Matter.
It’s also Sunday, so it’s the weekly volleyball get together, of course I almost made an excuse to not play, but I sucked it up and played a couple hours of volleyball. I’m not as impactful to the game as I would like to be, but I think with more practice, I’ll get to where I want to be.
Between games and during rest periods I also did some pearl knotting for my friend’s wedding coming up. Very productive day!
After all that it was time for dinner swap! I was excited to cook today, because I had beets and carrots and gypsy bell peppers from my FFTY shipment and found this recipe while browsing foodgawker from Delements. I tweaked the recipe for Blue Cheese Beets and Carrots rice, as I did not have blue cheese, but plan to try it again next time. A great healthy meal to complement my productively healthy day.
So, beet-carrot brown rice went on to the night’s menu, then I thought it’d be a nice addition to grill some salmon, and well there was assorted squash from my shipment of FFTY, so that went on the menu as well.
- 2 cups brown rice (dry)
- 4 beets
- 5 baby carrots
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 shallot
- 1 stalk green onions
- parsley (garnish)
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions
- Chop beets, carrots, bell pepper, shallots, and green onions
- When rice is done cooking, put beets, carrots, in a heated pan and cook for about 5 minutes to soften, then add bell peppers, and shallots.
- Add cooked brown rice to the mix in the pan. Mix together and heat together for about 3 minutes. Add green onions to the mix.
- Plate and garnish with some parsley.
- 2.5-3lbs salmon fillet (skin on)
- olive oil, to coat
- 1/2 tbsp Salt or to taste
- 2 Tbsp, Black Pepper, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp Ground Ginger
- 2 Tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 shallot, sliced
- In a baking dish, drizzle olive oil and coat Salmon. Flip it so it is skin side down
- Sprinkle salt all over the salmon, then proceed with black pepper, ground ginger, and dark brown sugar.
- Place shallots all over the top of the same.
- Place it on the grill, skin side down and leave it there, untouched, for about 15 minutes. Look for it being cooked about 3/4 of the way, by checking the pinkness on the sides of the salmon, depending on the thickness of you salmon, the timing may be more or less.
- Flip the salmon over for the remaining 5 minutes.
- Plate it skin side down.
- 3 long yellow squash, cut into rounds
- Toss lightly with olive oil
- Place on grill, and grill for about 5 minutes on each side.