My friend, Pauline, from The Lipstick Cafe, is a featured writer for Food Buzz, and told us about the 24 x24 food challenge. Featured writers submit their foodie ideas, and if chosen are allocated $250 to produce said foodie idea. We decided to take a stab at it.
The idea: Fresh Farmer’s Market inspired pizza.
The verdict: 24×24 said no.
Our verdict: We’re doing it anyway!
The three of us, P, Mae, and myself, got together one beautiful sunny Sunday morning, and took to the Campbell’s Farmers’ Market. I love the Farmers’ Market, but I don’t go often enough. The vibrant colors, the hustle & bustle of people, the wonderful smells from the food stalls, and of course the fresh vegetables that I can’t wait to serve for dinner.
We perused fresh tomatoes, zucchinis, squash, sausages (that didn’t make the cut) for the pizza. We savored cherries and orange slices. We looked for new herbs to add to our outdoor gardens. And we bought cheeses and bread to eat while we baked the pizza.
Mae and I each prepared a separate dough recipe the day before, I used a wheat recipe, and Mae found a basic, but delicious white flour recipe (recipe to follow). Then we all took part in tossing on the toppings!!
3 girls, 4 pizzas… what were we to do? EAT!
and eat we did, but don’t worry, our significant others were able to sample and enjoy the freshly baked pizzas.
Basic Pizza Dough [Yields dough for about 4-12″ pizzas]
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup room temperature water
- Mix all ingredients together and knead (with or without dough hook)Dough will be very sticky. Stop kneading when all the flour is combined.
- Put in a lightly oiled bowl and let it rise until it is 3x the size.
- Heat up pizza stone in 500 degree oven.
- Stretch out pizza on top of parchment paper and top with desired toppings. Slide parchment paper with pizza onto the hot baking stone and bake until crust is a light golden brown.