The following recipe can be used in various dishes. I will be using this pork shoulder for the ramen and the kim chi stew, so stay tuned!
- One 3lb piece boneless pork shoulder
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Put the pork shoulder into a toasting pan or other oven-safe vessel that holds it snugly. Mix together the salt and sugar in a small bowl and mix all over the meat; discard any excess salt-and-sugar mixture. Cover the container with plastic wrap and put in into the fridge for at least 6 hours, no longer than 24.
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Discard any liquid that accumulated in the container. Put the shoulder in the oven and cook for 6 hours, basting it with the rendered fat and pan juices every hour. Take it out of the oven and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Shred the meat, pulling it into ropy strands using two forks, like you would with pulled pork. If you need to hold the pork for a day or so, add some of the rendered fat from the pan to the shredded meat to keep it moist and store it, tightly covered, in the fridge. Re heat it in a low own (250 degrees or 300 degrees F) before using.