One of my fondest memories while visiting NYC, was my expedition at the MoMa. As soon as I exited the wonderful art museum, this familiar feeling overcame me, and I was suddenly starving. It was not just hungry, but it was full on, “I’ve got the shakes, and I’m going to tear my stomach apart” starving! Thankfully, before coming to NYC, I did my research and found recommendations for places to eat. There is supposed to be a Halal Guys Chicken & Rice cart right across the street from the MoMA. We ran up and down that block searching for the Halal Guys, and was worried that they might have left b/c of the rain. 😦 I was seriously about to give up, since I wanted to pass out from starvation, but all of a sudden, as we walked passed a pole, there it was! and there were the workers, probably just as excited to see us, as we were to see them! I shared my chicken and rice with everything on it… the spiciness almost blinded me, but it was definitely worth it!
Months later, I needed to fix the crave for the starvation-saver chicken and rice and made it for my dinner swap. I searched online and found this: Halal Chicken & Rice (NYC Style). I tweaked the recipe a bit, because I can’t handle spicy food very much, so in this case, I had to kick it down a notch. 🙂 Hope you all enjoy it!
HALAL CHICKEN & RICE (serves: 6)
For Tzatziki Sauce
- about 16oz plain yogurt
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 cucumbers (peeled, seeded, diced)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- about 1/2 cup of fresh dill
- olive oil, enough to coat and mix everything together
- Mix olive oil, garlic, dill, vinegar, cucumbers, lemon juice into food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the olive oil mixture into yogurt and mix well.
For Chicken & Rice
- 6pcs boneless chicken thighs
- Basmati rice
- 1/2 tbsp ginger (fresh & finely chopped)
- 1 tomato (sliced into wedges, about 8 )
- 2 – 5.5oz cans tomato juice
- 1 onion (cut into large strips)
- iceberg lettuce (washed and cut up into small pieces)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp cumin
- 3 tbsp curry
- 1 tbsp paprika
- olive oil
- Tabasco, to taste (optional)
- Cook rice according to directions
- Wash & slice chicken into strips
- Rub chicken strips with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Combine cumin, curry, and paprika in a bowl and put the chicken strips in the bowl to marinate for about two hours. (You don’t need to marinate it if time is off the essence)
- Coat wok with olive oil and add chicken. Cook each side for about 3 mins each, until you can kind of see the chicken turn white, through the dry rub.
- Add the cans of tomato juice and cook for about 15-20 mins on medium heat. You can add some Tabasco sauce at this point as well.
- Make a bed of rice, top half of it with the chicken and sauce. Place lettuce and tomatoes on other half. Generously drizzle tzatziki sauce over everything. You can add Tabasco sauce to kick it up a notch.
Eat heartily and reminisce about the streets of NYC.