I don’t know when or how it first started, but I find myself ALWAYS looking for a Caprese salad, or at least a version of it. I dig the fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil combo topped off with some balsamic. I just came back from an Ensenada Cruise with Royal Caribbean and enjoyed a delicious watermelon, mozzarella, tomato salad for dinner one night. Then, when I got back to San Francisco and had dinner at HOME restaurant, I immediately gravitated towards their watermelon & heirloom tomato salad. I can’t remember if it had mozzarella, but it was to die for! So of course, on my first day back to cooking and I just had to have a watermelon, mozzarella, tomato salad to start of my dinner!
Probably the easiest and most refreshing starter you can make.
- 1lb fresh mozzarella
- 3 Campari tomatoes or 1 large tomato
- 2 cups chopped watermelon
- spring salad mix
- salt & pepper to taste
- balsamic vinegar to taste
- slice the mozzarella and tomatoes into circles
- Place a handful of spring salad mix on the plate
- plate about 3-4 pieces of mozzarella on top of the salad mix, then place the watermelon chunks and tomatoes on top of the mozzarella
- sprinkle on some salt and pepper, and drizzle some balsamic vinegar